How do I make Moravian ginger cookies?
This recipe is a bit more difficult...I do not recommend it for novice cooks.... it also yields less potent cookies (which is not always a BAD thing...trust me on this one) than the lemon recipe.
* 1/3 cup molassas
* 1/4 cup butter
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 1 1/4 cup flour
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp baking soda
* 1 tsp EACH: cinnamon, ginger, clove, nutmet, allspice
1. Melt butter and combine with brown sugar and molasses.
2. Sift remaining ingredients and gradually add to the butter/sugar mixture.
3. You may need to "fix" the taste by adding additional spices and sugar (I have already taken that into consideration, BUT you might need to add more)...start by adding equal amounts of all the spices (a 1/4 tsp at a time).... you may also add some extra sugar if you like your cookies sweeter, but beware...too much sugar will change the baking time (sugar burns).
4. On a floured surface roll out the dough until it is PAPER THIN.
5. Use your favorite cookie cutter to cut out your cookies.
6. Use a spatula to transfer the cookies to a lightly greased cookie sheet.
7. Bake the cookies in a 350-degree oven anywhere from 6 minutes to 12 minutes.... until they are browned and crisp. The variation in baking time is affected by how thin you get your dough (the thinner the better and when they're thin they bake up real fast) and how much sugar you use.
These cookies are truly addictive...I first tasted them while travelling down south...stopped in Winston Salem (where they are sold)...searched out and perfected my own recipe.